Modern headboards are a great way to anchor and focus your bedroom. Find the perfect headboard to buy or build from a bunch of our favorites.
Change up your bedroom with a new headboard or bed frame. There are so many options to buy and even great ones that are fairly simple builds.
Headboards to Buy
Get a whole new look for your room when you buy a new headboard or bed frame. Many of these modern headboards come in unique colors, styles, and finishes. Click on the images below to see more.
This post contains affiliate links for headboards to buy for your convenience. Learn more and read our full disclosure policy here. If you can’t see these images it may be your ad blocker (you might need to disable it), or you can check out the list below.
- Natural Queen Headboard – Overstock
- Gold Metal Canopy Bed with Upholstered Headboard – Overstock
- Upholstered Bed Panel – Joss and Main
- Jake Upholstered Bed – Pottery Barn
- Wallace Metal Bed – Walmart
- Farmhouse Metal Bed – Walmart
- Dubay Canopy Bed – Wayfair
- Anner Upholstered Bed – Wayfair
- Canterbury Upholstered Platform Bed – Wayfair
- Claremont Bed – Pottery Barn
- Rattan Headboard – Pier1
- Dillon Platform Bed – Joss and Main
- Curved Wood and Upholstered Bed – Walmart
- Metal Canopy Bed – Walmart
- Upholstered Panel Headboard – Wayfair
- Ally Metal Farmhouse Bed – Walmart
- Corbin Platform Bed – Joss and Main
- Modern Platform Bed – Walmart
- Warwick Panel Bed – Walmart
- Modern Wood Spindle Bed – Walmart
- Slated Headboard – Wayfair
- Solid Wood Paneled Headboard – Walmart
- Wood Platform Storage Bed – Walmart
- Reclaimed Wood Bed – West Elm
- Whitewashed Panel Bed – Joss and Main
- Upholstered Panel Bed – Joss and Main
- Tompkins Panel Bed – Joss and Main
- Upholstered Sleigh Bed in multiple colors/finishes – West Elm
- Marion Canopy Bed – Walmart
- Camillo Upholstered Bed – Joss and Main
- Modern Four Post Canopy Bed – Walmart
- Storage Platform Bed with Baskets – Pottery Barn
- Crescent Moon Upholstered Platform Bed – Walmart
- Murphy Bed Desk – Wayfair
- Reclaimed Wood Storage Bed – West Elm
- Antique Bronze Metal Bed – Wayfair
- Stella Metal Bed – West Elm
- Camilla Metal Canopy Bed – Walmart
- Peacock Rattan Headboard – Pier1
- Manila Upholstered Bed – Joss and Main
- Platform Bed with Drawers – Walmart
- Mainstays Farmhouse Bed – Walmart
- Seaside Pine Platform Bed – Walmart
- Arne Bed with Leather Cushions – West Elm
- Celeste Metal Bed – Joss and Main
- Charcoal Upholstered Bed – Wayfair
- Bali Rattan Headboard – Pier1
- Mid-Century Modern Wood Slated Bed – Walmart
- Chippendale Headboard in multiple colors – Wayfair
- Transitional Wood Platform Bed – Walmart
- Mid-Century Modern Wrap Around Headboard – Walmart
- Ambrosia Upholstered Bed – Walmart
- Mid-Century Wood Platform Bed – Walmart
- Wren Metal Bed – Walmart
- Metal Twin Bed – Walmart
Click the arrows on either side of the image below to see more headboards.
Headboards to Build
If you’d rather try your hand at building, we’ve got a lot of modern style headboards to build, and tutorials too.
- Pieced Wood Headboard
- Leather Tufted Headboard – The Learner Observer for Remodelaholic
- Tufted Headboard – Tiny Sidekick for Remodelaholic
- House Headboard – HerToolBelt for Remodelaholic
- Curvy Headboard – HerToolBelt for Remodelaholic
- Tufted Panel Headboard – Home Coming for Remodelaholic
- Rustic Chevron Headboard – HerToolBelt for Remodelaholic
- Turn an Old Door into a Headboard – Homemade by Carmona for Remodelaholic
- Easy DIY Headboard – Don’t Disturb this Groove for Remodelaholic
- Reclaimed Wood Curvy Headboard – The Accent Piece for Remodelaholic
- Tall Slated Headboard – Sawdust2Stitches for Remodelaholic
- Upholstered Headboard with Nailhead Trim – Pneumatic Addict for Remodelaholic
- Diamond Tufted Upholstered Headboard – Hodge Podge for Remodelaholic
- Build-In Headboard by It’s a Turtle’s Life for Me for Remodelaholic
Bedroom Design Inspiration
Want a new look in the bedroom, start by picking out one of these modern headboards, then look at these great bedroom inspiration photos for ideas on how to style them.
A black spindle bed looks fun when you pair it with funky printed pillows and pompoms!
A simple metal farmhouse style headboard looks great against a pretty floral wallpaper.
Dress up a black four poster bed frame with a neutral geometric bedspread and adding some black window trim.
A neutral wood spindle bed can look great with a variety of neutrals. Add more depth to the room with a variety of textures rather than colors.
A two-toned modern headboard pairs well with geometric shapes styled on a set of shelves. Add different fun throw pillows for a modern look.
Take a neutral room with a farmhouse headboard and add a little life with a vase of greenery on the nightstand.
Add contrast to a room with a white upholstered headboard and a darker accent wall.
Go bold with a black headboard that pops against a rustic wood feature wall. Add a little print with blankets and pillows. The mix of symmetry and asymmetry keeps a pretty balance in this room.
A fairly neutral bedroom with great texture calls for a pop of color. In this room that color is pink, but other colors would look great with this natural wood and upholstered four postered headboard.
A canopy bed with a floral bedspread, touches of gold, faux fur and a skull pillow for good measure make the perfect teen girl room.
A curvy tufted upholstered headboard stands out on this wood trimmed floral feature wall. Add an extra layer of dimension with a pretty area rug.
Tips for picking a Headboard
- Decide on the correct size for your room. Measure your area and determine how much room you have, versus how big the headboard is.
- Pick a finish. Metal, wood, a mixture, upholstered, rattan. There are so many great options. Pick the option you feel would go best with the theme of your room.
- Look at photos here, on Pinterest, in catalogs, etc. Find a look you like and find a headboard that works with your vision.
- Make a mood board to make sure that your headboard will look good with other elements you have in your bedroom or would like to add in your bedroom.
And if you are getting rid of an old headboard, why not make it into a headboard bench?!
Please pin this post for later: